Rashida Goes Beyond Policy Advocacy
- Opened four neighborhood service centers throughout the district bringing critical services to residents that continue to make an immediate impact in people’s lives.
- Returned nearly a million dollars back to the district in the form of social security benefits, veteran benefits, debt reduction, and other critical services.
- Brought two congressional hearings to the district on housing affordability and environmental injustice.
- Named one of the top congress members to hold the most town halls during her term in office.
- Championed issues that affect our families and brought attention to water shutoffs, the cost of insulin, and worker protections — leading to legislation and immediate action.
- Increased access to federal grants for nonprofits by creating an e-grants newsletter for organizations to apply for federal resources.
- Assisted thousands of residents with constituent services.
- Her transformative Neighborhood Service Centers across the district supported residents with utility and water assistance, advocacy on landlord tenant issues, and assistance with various everyday challenges faced by residents.
- Helped two dozen residents become U.S. Citizens and supported hundreds with access to free legal services and advocacy.
- Successfully helped residents cancel more than $260,000 in student debt.
- Assisted residents in receiving over $130,000 back in Social Security benefits.
- Engaged over 30 district schools to promote child literacy.
- Expanded community outreach by convening local elected officials to coordinate efforts and expand services to our residents.
- Raised over $20,000 dollars to help bail out mothers in jail on Mother’s Day.
- Helped raise close to $100,000 for grassroots organizations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Reached out through wellness checks to 75,000 voters, connecting residents to the resources needed during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Rashida fights for our right to breathe clean air and drink clean water
- Named Vice Chair of the Subcommittee on Environment within the House Oversight and Reform Committee.
- Passed an amendment putting frontline communities first by remediating toxic PFAS chemicals.
- Held a Congressional hearing on Environmental Justice in 48217, the most polluted zip code in America (August 2019).
- Coordinated 3 different toxic tours for members of Congress and Michigan’s Attorney General.
- Sent public letters to Marathon Oil from the House Committee on Oversight and Reform to hold them accountable to toxic output.
- Created a local environmental justice working-group made up of community activists.
- Passed the Emergency Water is a Human Right Act to stop water shutoffs, require water reconnection, and aid families suffering due to limited water access.
- Introduced the Petcoke Toxic Bill with Senator Gary Peters to ensure public health, air, and water is protected.
- Sent a public letter to Nestle to hold them accountable for their continued profiting off of our public water.
From Auto Insurance Accountability to Direct Tax Credits to Our Residents, Rashida Fights for Economic & Housing Justice
- Passed the Restoring Unfairly Impaired Credit & Protecting Consumers Act which reduces time negative credit stay on a credit report from 7 years to 4 years, and prevents medically necessary debt from being reported.
- Held a housing justice congressional hearing in Wayne County and a neighborhood housing tour with the chairman and members of the House Financial Services Committee.
- Introduced the BOOST Act, a bill that would uplift 45% of people living in poverty instantly by providing refundable tax credits to individuals and families.
- Held two congressional hearings in Washington D.C. on discriminatory practices by the auto insurance industry.
- Introduced two bills to prohibit the use of non-driving factors in auto insurance rates.
Rashida takes on corporate bullies, scammers and a lawless President while fighting for our civil rights
- Signed into law the Payee Fraud Prevention Act, putting an end to fraudulent activity that targets vulnerable retirees and their pensions.
Introduced a bill to repeal opportunity zone tax breaks for billionaire Dan Gilbert, overturning tax break allocations in unqualified communities.
- Introduced the Charter Oversight and Accountability (COAT) Act to hold private charter school management companies accountable. The act requires these companies to report how they spend federally allocated dollars, thus holding them accountable to students and taxpayers.
- Introduced bills to ban facial recognition technology in public housing and banned federal funding from being used towards facial recognition technology.
- Introduced the successful house resolution to impeach President Trump.
We need bold leaders, fighters, and advocates for democracy.
Join our movement for change!
PAID FOR BY RASHIDA TLAIB FOR CONGRESS | P.O. BOX 32777, DETROIT, MI 48232